Monday, June 7, 2010

This past school year was my 17th year to teach Kindergarten. It was, however, my first class of self-contained ELL Kindergarteners. I had 14 students, all from Spanish speaking backgrounds. They were at all different levels of language acquisition. Although the beginning of the year was challenging, the end of the year brought tears and hugs. I can't wait to meet my class this August. I think this past school year has been the most rewarding year I have had. I loved the enthusiasm of my students and the appreciation of their parents. Things that are common place to my own children were exciting and new to my ELL students. Who know McDonald's Chicken Nuggets could bring such joy?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that is usually the case. What we take for granted is new and exciting to those new to the country.

    ReplyDelete