Monday, September 19, 2011

Rhyming with ELL Observation #1



My first observation was done on Friday, September 16.

The purpose of the lesson was to teach the students how to recognize rhyming words using picture cards. This is how the lesson unfolded:

• We began the lesson with a book, Silly Sally. After listening to the story, we reviewed the characters that Silly Sally met on her way to town and what the characters did. (pig danced a jig, lune sang a tune, dog played leapfrog)
• We played a listening game where the students had to say a rhyming word: (If I say pig, you say jig—I would say pig, they would say jig).
• Each student was asked to pick a picture, say its name, and determine where to place it on a pocket chart under one of three pictures, depending on the rhyming picture clues. For my ELL students, I told them the name of the picture and said the names of the 3 rhyming picture clue cards.
• After all pictures were placed, we said the names of all the picture cards in each column.

I noticed that my ELL students were able to match the pictures to the correct rhyming column, only after I said the names of the pictures for them. They understood the concept of rhyming words, but needed help with the English words for the pictures. For my gen. ed. students, they only had to focus on learning the skill at hand, rhyming. My ELL students first had to say the word in English, and then compare the picture to other pictures for the rhyming skill. This is doubly hard for students whose first language is not English. As the students begin to learn more language, they will be better able to master the skill of rhyming.

I think the next time I do a rhyming activity with my ELL students, I will use previously taught picture cards. I can help them practice the English names for the pictures in a small group, and then they will be able to focus on the skill of rhyming during our game time.

No comments:

Post a Comment